Here's how Clara looked before:
|Before - rotten legs and chippy paint|
The challenge for this piece was the condition it was in. I spent 6 hours prepping it to paint. I took a wire brush trying to get all the chipping paint off. Then I washed it down with A LOT of mineral spirits, denatured alcohol and warm water. Then it was two coats of clear shellac on the WHOLE piece - inside the drawers and inside the body of the dresser. My husband repaired the legs - a huge thank you to him!
I'm so pleased to introduce you to "Clara":
|Clara - After|
She is painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre, a very pretty and soft tan. It looks almost white as it is going on and then dries a bit darker.
I painted the hardware too. Due to the chippy paint underneath the newly painted dresser has a lovely texture. In a way, it looks like it could have always been painting this color:
|Hardware and texture|
My favorite part is the scrolling details on the top. I used dark wax on these details to make them show up:
|After - scrolling detail with ASCP dark wax|
For this piece I did two coats of clear wax and then liquified the dark wax by mixing in some mineral spirits to help it go on a bit more easily. I know many who read the blog have some issues with the dark wax. I'm finding liquifying it helps to smooth it into the detail and crevices, wipe access off and then wipe areas with some clear wax to define certain areas.
|"Clara" - After|
Clara returned to her home (not the barn) on Saturday and they all lived happily ever after....