Ask any mom what she wants for Mother’s Day and I’m sure she’ll first say that she want to sleep in. Once I’m awoken in the morning I can’t got back to sleep. So on Mother’s Day my first wish is to sleep in (even if that means until 7.30 or 8am). The second thing is I want time with my little boys. I want to share this day with my family because they make me so very proud. I also love to share this day with my mom. The best mom I know! And lastly, I like to receive gifts that are hand-made.
If you are still struggling about what to do for your mom or wife. I have the perfect dessert. This one is a favorite in my house! It is a Martha Stewart recipe, but I substitute the raspberries for strawberries. I just like it so much better that way. It tastes just like strawberry shortcake but in a trifle.
Here’s the recipe:
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup seedless strawberry jam (I like to do strawberry jam)
4 cups strawberries (I like to do strawberries)
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 pounds favorite pound cake (I like to use Roche Bros – it has loads of butter and is delicious)
1. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
2. In a small bowl, combine jam with 3 cups strawberries, mashing slightly. In a large bowl, whip cream and 2 tablespoons sugar to stiff peaks.
3. Slice pound cake 3/4 inch thick; brush both sides of slices with lemon syrup.
Fit 1/3 of slices snugly in the bottom of a 4-quart trifle dish or other glass bowl, trimming edges if necessary.
4. Gently spread top of layer with 1/3 of strawberry mixture, and then 1/3 of whipped cream. (tip – start on the outside and don’t go too heavy, you don’t want to run out for the top layer). Repeat to make two more layers; garnish with remaining cup strawberries.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
I know the mom in your life will love this sweet treat. If you make it, I’d love to hear how it turns out!
I'm a wife, mother of two young, energetic boys and I love our rescue dog! When I'm not running after the boys or the dog I'm happy on the beach, practicing yoga, painting furniture, cooking or getting some design inspiration for our home.